Against the "Honk More, Wait More" implementation!


While everyone is tripping over the concept, I strongly disagree to implement anything as illogical as "Honk more, Wait more".
Do you think honking is the main issue that is to be addressed in Mumbai? Your insight has gone horribly wrong. 

Our biggest issue is Literacy. Literacy to understand the difference between Green and Red signal. It’s hilarious how we fail to understand and adhere to the basic logic of 2 colors meant to manage the road traffic.
Instead of randomly implementing Award (only) worthy campaigns, rather we should look at how we can simplify the lives of people on the road. We need to understand that we’re living in an overpopulated city where traveling on road is not easy as we have limited land mass with ever rising vehicles and people.
Why complicate the traffic situation in a city that ranks 4th in the worst traffic hit cities in the World?
Every day I fear death on the Signal as I hardly get a companion who waits next to me on a red signal. I fear to apply break on the Signal as the speedy vehicle behind me is bigger which can run over me and my bike with ease. People jump red signal with ease and are reluctant to look around for the safety of others. They criticize me when I’m the only one to follow a Red signal.
The only places where we find Cops managing the traffic is where people wait for the signal to turn Green. Signals in smaller areas are as useless as having a Vada Pav with tomato ketchup.
What I feel should have been done:
Free Straights/Lefts:
I think Mumbai police should take due reference of Hyderabad police for better traffic management. Hyderabad has very smartly implemented the concept of free straights and free lefts. A lot of areas have redundant signals imposed for going straight or taking a left which causes traffic-jams. We can simply impose free straights/lefts to reduce the traffic condition in the city.
Cop-Bait:
This is a strong observation which I need to bring to the notice of Mumbai police. Let me explain the term “Cop-bait”. Traffic cops are allotted to take care of certain traffic areas. Instead of staying in the vicinity of the signal, these traffic cops stand 10-20 meters away from the signal hiding behind a Vada pav stall, pan-wala, Vegetable cart, etc. My fellow citizens identify the unavailability of cops on the signal and take that opportunity to jump the red signal thereby getting caught at a distance by the “Cop-bait” (I don’t want to highlight what happens next here). If the traffic Police stands near the signals, who do you think has the balls to jump the signal? With that we can manage the traffic on that particular signal in a much better way. 
Limited Signals:
In smaller areas, we can very well do away with a lot of Signals implemented at random. The disharmony is because of uncertainty of whether one should stop or not to adhere the signal. A few stop because they feel the cop will be stationed somewhere while the others jump the signal as they know the area better. Now this keeps the situation hanging as no one knows what is happening around them (I did mention the incapability to understand the 2 colors). Indiscipline brings us together and there’s Harmony in Indiscipline. Hence, we can let the judgment take over a few unnecessary signals imposed in smaller areas. Trust me, I can pinpoint the difference a Signal has made to the areas where it wasn’t imposed earlier (Riding bike for 11 years now).
Requesting you, to not impose the "Honk- more, Wait -more system."

A humble request from the citizen who adheres to the Traffic Signal Colors.

Comments