Solo Birthday Ride to visit the Asian Lions - Gir Wildlife Sanctuary, Gujarat


At the back of my visit to Udaipur’s biological park where the Lion mesmerized me, I decided to visit the historic Gir Wildlife sanctuary to spot Lions out in the wild. It’s Winter, it’s February and my birthday month too. Normal People consider it to be a romantic month and prefer to spend time with loved ones. I’m normal too, just that my loved ones stay in jungles.
We get an official leave for Birthday, but damn my luck as my birthday was on a Saturday (Chutti mein chutti). Hence, I had to apply for leave to do this ride. Since I knew that Internet might disappoint me big time, I got the Map printed with a copy kept in the front pocket of my riding jacket.
I kicked off (or self-start) at 4am on 22nd of a chilling Wednesday morning. How much of covering myself for Winter ride is enough (A T-shirt, Two Jackets, short pant under the Jeans and more)? How will I know till I turned into an Ice-candy while riding? My target was to cover 850 kms to Sasan Gir in one day.
Speeding at 110+ Kms/hr on Ahmedabad highway (Best of Modi till date), I Took my first stop near Surat at a McDonald’s to have a hot expresso. That coffee got me up and running as well as helped me fight the Cold. Soon, I reached Bharuch and started referring to the physical Map that I carried. Now I had to remember these difficult places in Gujarat like Karjan, Padra, Vasad, Borsad, Dholka, Vataman, Ferara, Pipali, Dholera, Dhandhuka, Botad, Chavand, Lathi, Amreli, Visavadar, Dhari (All these can be easily used as slangs). Remembering them was still fine, but asking the location to the Locals was even more difficult as each one of them had their mouths filled with Tobacco and every time I stopped, they had to first spit it out to talk to me (Grossed out every time). By 6pm I reached Visavadar, which was 20-25 Kms away from Sasan Gir. At a Petrol pump there, I met a few non tobacco consuming youngsters who told me to go to Dhari for accommodation instead of Sasan as it was getting dark there and the Jungle road starts from there. No OYO rooms available at this side of the World.
I stopped at the first hotel near Dhari and cracked a good deal for a night stay. I was in for many Surprises here as the Chotu who helped me lift my luggage to the room was a 6Feet 5inches well-built African who talks in Gujarati and eats Tobacco too (My travel stress could not match up to this Stress). Just for knowledge purposes I must share that the Lions never existed in Asia. These Lions were brought to Sasan Gir and an African Tribe “Siddi” was brought along too, to sedate and take care of these Lions (Now google the complete story and let me tell you my story). Every food outlet here served Veg food accept one Thela which had Eggs and Chicken (I needed proteins to get over my travel energy loss). I had to smuggle the meat inside my room. None of the hotel staff came ahead to clean my table with chicken bones except “Chotu”, the one I mentioned earlier (#Stress). Dreaming about Lions I passed out immediately as I had to start my day at 6am next day.

The big Cat day was here and I headed to Sasan Gir early in the Morning. I don’t know how will my words give justice to the experience I had during this ride. I took a 15-20Kms kaccha road that goes through the Jungle area of Gir sanctuary (Yes, there are Kaccha roads in Gujarat). Screw Jeep safari, I was on a bike Safari with all the Animals right in front of me. The first one to cross my path was the Indian Jackal that never cared about my existence and simply drank water and left the scene. There were so many Peacocks around me that I already started missing Crows (Damn this middle class mentality). Deer’s, Neelgai, Blackbucks, Mongoose were right next to me (I’m not kidding). I took a Selfie with them too, check this out:

Excitement had no limit that day as I thought I might see Lions sitting on the road on my way. I reached the Gir Wildlife Sanctuary to book my jungle safari only to realize the stupidity I’ve done in excitement. The safari permit can only be booked online atleast 2-3 days prior on a government website. Being a Jugadu, I tried to bribe the forest people to please let me do the Safari. But they were firm in their stance and declined my offer. The guides there told me that I can see the lions at the Gir Interpretation Zone in Devalia (Compromise Bro). It’s a huge zone inside the Gir Wildlife sanctuary that holds all the wild animals including Lions, Leopards, Blue Bull, Sambhar, Chital, Jackal, Black buck, Wild Boar etc.
So, I took up the 200Rs. Canter ticket to visit Devalia. The animals were out in open with a very few or no-caged areas. Finally, I spotted a pack of 3 lions and my eyes were locked onto them. 

Aunties in this canter were damn irritating as they kept on talking in Gujarati while I was quietly looking at the Lions. A Jackal was trying to cross the Lions path which got them up on their feet and ready to attack. I thought I will get to see them hunt this idiot down but the Jackal dodged them to safety with ease. No matter what, I got to see all of this and I enjoyed it. Soon the canter was back to where it started from as my safari got over. I went up to the locals to figure out accommodation and places to visit nearby. The locals told me there’s nothing more to see here and asked me to stay in Una and go to Diu where I get can Beers for cheap (They figured out the thirst on my face).
I followed the wise directions given by the locals and decided to take up accommodation in Una. The road to Una was beautiful, but the only issue was there were too many speed breakers made to avoid harm to the animals who roam there freely. As I mentioned earlier, I was in for too many weird surprises that I’m going to list down. Here they are: African ladies washing clothes on the river bank in sarees, African kids playing Goti (Marbles) in school uniform, African husband and Indian wife on a bike, African kids discussing in Gujarati, African women wearing Ghagra Choli with a pallu on their head, etc. Trust me I wasn’t drunk, nor was I on any substance. I took a 5 minutes’ break just to laugh and I did it quiet loudly.
It was the first day of the first test match between India and Australia where we managed to score 200 odd runs in 2 innings and the Aussies destroyed us in three days itself. I had Lunch and headed for Diu. I covered from Mumbai Coast to the Gujarat, Diu coast line (1000 Kms done already). 

Since it’s an union territory, I thought it will be a party place like Goa and I kept moving from one beach to another only to get disappointed. Finally, I reached a beach where I saw people with beers in hand and mid aged uncles swimming in their Ganji Banyan only reminded me of Baga beach in Goa. I took up one corner with a Beer and some chakna. Evening went smooth with the Beer doing its job well. Ended the night with Falooda hogging session.

Next day I decided to head to Amreli through the Gir jungle route again to revisit my wild buddies. I came across a beautiful chameleon who was sunbathing in peace (Got a Nat Geo level picture of him too). 

Went straight to Amreli bidding goodbye to the Gir Wildlife sanctuary. Had a proper Gujarati Kathiawadi Thali with everything tasting like a sweet dish. Surprisingly at the end of the thali, the restaurant guys asked me if I want something in sweet to which I gave a poker face (Aur kitna meetha khau?). Reached Amreli and sorted my accommodation there. Bought some Chivda and Gujju snacks to take it back home. I slept early as I had to start at 4.30 am next day which also was my Birthday. My celebration was 800+ Kms away from Friends and family (The only time when I felt lonely).
Happy Birthday to me as I left the Hotel at 4.30am. It was dark with bad Internet area and few or no people to talk to for directional help. I moved in a circle to figure out that I was lost. Lucky to find someone to help me take an exit to the highway. This time someone suggested me to take a shortcut through Blackbuck national park from Velavadar which was a peaceful 100 Kms ride with Blackbucks alongside. Felt like the Beautiful birds and the Blackbucks were out there to wish me on my birthday. I had to stop my bike several times as my family and friends were calling me to wish.

I reached home after a 16hour ride at 8pm. Took my parents out for dinner and was almost asleep on the dining table. I’m 28 already (Late 20’s)!

We enjoy celebrating birthdays with our loved ones but it’s a different experience to celebrate it all by yourself. Try it once!

Avoid Tobacco stains on your clothes, here’s the best way to reach GIR and Diu: 

Comments

  1. Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul..! Long way to go Rider..!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I ride, the more I write, the more I'll live life.
      Yes, long way to go.

      Delete

Post a Comment